If you want to join us in 2024 book your place now.
Camp Negum 2024
Camp Negum is a celebration of live music on outskirts of Cairo with Safaa Farid & the Negum band.
Safaa Farid, singer, band leader and impresario believes the quintessential way for Middle Eastern dance to show it full richness and variety is when dancers and musicians create something unique together.
Safaa is director of Camp Negum with many years of experience working with dancers.
We are delighted that in 2024 we are being joined by Passant – one of Cairos best kept secrets.
Passant Gameay features in this months Zameena magazine – a free on line magazine run by Zaras Zouk. You can subscribe on this link.
This Festival is ‘highly recommended’ by BellyDance Now, the UK’s most prestigious bellydance training organisation.
Below is a glimpse of Camp Negum 21. Excerpts from the opening gala show.
Camp Negum gives dancers the opportunity to dance with live music both in class and on stage. Camp Negum is not just about performing though, it is about enjoying live music and dancing to it in a social setting with other people who love live music too.
- On arrival at the airport you are met and brought to the hotel
- 5 nights accommodation in a shared room in our resort hotel. Rooms are spacious and there is a pool. Arrive Monday 21st October 2024. Depart Saturday 26th October 2024
- Half board – breakfast and evening meal included. Dinner is a buffet with lots of choice so you won’t get bored with the food.
- Transfers from and to the airport
- Day One – Monday 21st October 2024: Morning – arrivals. 2 x afternoon classes from 1pm plus the opening Gala show on the evening.
- Day Two – Tuesday 22nd: 3 x 2 hour classes through the day. Early evening: introduction to the band, the instruments plus Q&A. Free evening
- Day Three – Wednesday 23rd: 2 x 2 hour class in the morning. Afternoon trip to the Khan el Khalili – Cairos biggest market. Late linch included. Escorted tour round market then free time to shop. Evening: Tannoura (Whirling Dervish) show with master musicians then back to hotel.
- Day Four – Thursday 24th: Free morning for optional sightseeing/pool time. Afternoon: 2 x 2 hour classes. Early evening: Guided rehearsal time for those who have booked to perform with the band or enter the competition. Free evening
- Day Five – Friday 25th: Morning: 2 x 2 hour classes. 15.00: Showcase for performers plus competition – come along and support the girls. Evening: Party time – relax and enjoy.
- Day Six – Saturday 26th October – departures including transfer to airport.
- All 20+ hours of tuition with a range of inspirational teachers
- Live music in many classes
- Q&A session with Safaa Farid and musicians
- Option to perform with live music in our Friday showcase with rehearsal
- Optional Competitions with rehearsal
- Optional 2 day extension with trip to the New Egyptian museum which will (inshallah) be open by then!
- This is for you if:
- You love live music
- You want to develop your understanding of Arabic music
- You like a challenge
- You want to develop your dance
- You want to discover the joy of live music
- You need some inspiration for your dance
- Arrive a day early – on the 20th October so you are fresh for classes starting on the 21st. Email Kay
- Join Kay in Downtown Cairo….. the week before to see lots of dance and do lots of sightseeing. 14th – 20th October 2024
- Extend your trip for 2 days after to add sightseeing of your choice. Email Kay for options / prices.
- Extend your trip with a Nile cruise on private dahabia, Luxor and Aswan finishing with 2 extra nights in Downtown Cairo. Contact Amera
Optional: performing with band or entering the competition: an additional £40 – this includes a rehearsal with the band to agree the start / end of your piece and a run through of the whole number. The rehearsal is Thursday evening. The Showcase / competition is on Friday afternoon and will be filmed.
This trip is ideal for those who love live music, an informal and friendly atmosphere and want to immerse themselves in Egyptian music at its best.
21st – 26th October 2024